By National Research Council, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, Panel on Performance Measures and Data for Public Health Performance Partnership Grants, Jeffrey J. Koshel, Ed
The U.S. division of overall healthiness and Human companies is accomplishing an bold new application to guarantee that cash for public health and wellbeing courses are spent as successfully as attainable. less than the recent application, each country will improve a suite of functionality goals to degree its development when it comes to results, approaches, and skill. within the first section of this system, states are to suggest such measures to be completed over 3 to 5 years. This publication examines the technical concerns all for the advance of functionality measures in 10 components: psychological well-being, substance abuse, HIV an infection, sexually transmitted ailments, tuberculosis, immunization, persistent illnesses, incapacity, rape, and emergency scientific companies. From greater than 3,200 candidate measures proposed through researchers, policymakers, and public overall healthiness pros, the panel proposes greater than 50 power end result measures. The e-book information the benefits and barriers of power measures in addition to the knowledge assets that could aid them. This quantity can be a useful source to every body fascinated about public future health.
Read Online or Download Assessment of Performance Measures for Public Health, Substance Abuse, and Mental Health PDF
Similar health policy books
This examine, and is the reason theorizing in conception, can pay specific consciousness to imaginative and prescient. Describing 3 items of analysis paintings that have received the Nobel Prize, the textual content observes conception at paintings in everyday life and explains how readers might be proficient to extend their knowledge. matters coated contain the three-factor and opponent-process theories of color and imaginative and prescient, neural tactics within the retina, the Gestalt concept, ecological optics and the computational idea of imaginative and prescient.
The Rosenthal lecture integrated during this quantity explores the area of complementary medication and its implications for scientific examine, medical perform, and coverage within the usa.
First in a chain of stories from the IOM Immunization safeguard evaluate Committee, provides an overview of the facts concerning a hypothesized causal organization among the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine and autism, and the committee's conclusions and suggestions. Softcover.
Health and wellbeing care caliber and its affordability became very urgent concerns within the usa. All sectors of the rustic try to push ahead tasks that would increase the future health care approach in addition to the future health of the yank inhabitants ordinarily. regardless of the within your budget commitment to wellbeing and fitness care, approximately 1/5, the process continues to be asymmetric and fragmented, sufferer damage is very common, care is frequently uncoordinated, and lots of extra mishaps take place.
- Harm Reduction: National and International Perspectives
- The Sedated Society: The Causes and Harms of our Psychiatric Drug Epidemic
- The Health Situation in the South-East Asia Region: 2001-2007 (WHO Regional Publications South-East Asia Series)
- In the Hands of Doctors: Touch and Trust in Medical Care
- Lesbian Health: Current Assessment and Directions for the Future
Additional info for Assessment of Performance Measures for Public Health, Substance Abuse, and Mental Health
1). 21 Statewide estimates are not available from the available data system that supports this measure (DAWN); however, this measure should be included among those states that may choose from if they want to focus their efforts on a defined geographical area(s) as part of their performance agreements with DHHS. Page 40 22 Prevalence rate of adolescents aged 14–17 engaged in heavy drinking or other drug use Prevalence rate of persons aged 18 and older engaged in heavy drinking or other drug use23 Percentage of women who gave birth in the past year and reported using alcohol or other drugs during pregnancy Mean age at first use of ''gateway" drugs (tobacco, marijuana, alcohol) Percentage of adolescents aged 14–17 stating disapproval of marijuana use Percentage of adolescents aged 14–17 who report parents or guardians who communicate nonuse expectations Percentage of drug abuse clients who engage in risk behaviors related to HIV/AIDS after completing treatment plan Examples of Process Measures Process Measure: Percentage of pregnant women screened for substance abuse Process Measure: Percentage of drug abuse clients screened for STDs, HIV infection, and tuberculosis during treatment Examples of Capacity Measures Resources Percentage of atrisk population(s) who have access to and receive specialized services Planning The presence or absence of statewide prevention and treatment needs assessment study completed within last 2 years Percentage of providers that use uniform criteria to assess and match clients to appropriate services There will need to be continued support for data definition and collection efforts at both the state and national level in order for states to report on the 22 Although the estimated incidence rate would be a more appropriate measure of state agency performance, the most suitable data source for this measure is the YRBSS, which is a population survey and, therefore, only provides estimates of prevalence.
14. 15. Page 31 Examples of Process Measures Program Strategy: Reduce barriers to receiving treatment from specific providers Process Measure: Percentage of patients with insurance coverage for specific treatments Process Measure: Percentage of patients reporting no transportation barriers to obtain necessary services Process Measure: Percentage of physicians and other care providers receiving cultural competency training Program Strategy: Improve quality of services provided Process Measure: Percentage of cases followed up after most recent contact Process Measure: Percentage of known intravenous drug users with access to needle exchange program Examples of Capacity Measures Resources Percentage of highrisk communities with nearby testing and screening services from multiple types of health providers and public health organizations Planning Percentage of the state's population who reside in communities that are engaged in formal community processes for assessing and planning for HIV/STD/TB prevention and treatment services.
4. Effective treatment is available for many of these infections, which not only benefits the individual treated by curing the infection, but also prevents the spread of the infection to others in the population. 5. " 6. The prevention value of early diagnosis and treatment of core transmitters is substantially higher than similar efforts for the general population. 7. The predominant proportion of the spread of STDs and HIV infection in a community involves intimate sexual practices that are the object of considerable stigma in modern American society.
Assessment of Performance Measures for Public Health, Substance Abuse, and Mental Health by National Research Council, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, Panel on Performance Measures and Data for Public Health Performance Partnership Grants, Jeffrey J. Koshel, Ed